of all nations!

-Matt 28:19 NIV-
July and August, 2024
TI Editorial

Jonny Chun
Executive Secretary
of Tentmakers International

Greetings!

In the past several years, the Tentmaking Mission around the globe slowed due to the pandemic, but our TM friends have begun to move actively again. As a member of Tentmakers International, I've been busy trying to establish and expand the Tentmaking Mission Network in many countries.

Recently, TI India hosted the annual TI South Asia conference in Nagaland, and both TI Korea and TI Thailand initiated training programs for tentmakers who serve in their workplaces.

TI India, TI Korea, the Korea Association of Tentmakers (KAT), TI Indonesia, TI Thailand, and TI Tanzania constitute the networks for both national and international Tentmaking Movements. These countries are actively working under the auspices of Tentmakers International.

Various international and national mission organizations such as IMA, KWMA, NEMA, WEA-MC, and The Lausanne Movement are closely collaborating with us on this global issue known as Tentmaking.

The workplace ministry that tentmakers have focused on for the past several decades has become a global issue. Tentmaking missions are now well recognized almost everywhere, and we, the TI leaders, are taking the next steps to advance the future Global TM movement.

We all recognize the need for new and young leaders who can develop this global mission movement with fresh perspectives and strategies in this rapidly changing mission world.

The Seoul 2024 Lausanne Congress will focus on workplace ministry as a significant and critical issue, recognizing that the workplace is the largest field of Christian ministry.

John Cox, the first International Director of TI, wrote, “In 1989, The Manila Manifesto (Lausanne II Congress) epitomized a new commitment to World Evangelization. What is less known is the statement issued by the Tentmaker Track. It affirmed that tentmakers are Christians who, in response to God's call, proclaim Christ cross-culturally, witnessing with their whole lives. It also affirmed the vital central position of the established missions movement and drew attention to the need for structures of accountability for tentmaker practitioners to these agencies, as well as to local Christian fellowships and partnerships, and above all to the home churches. It recognized that the tentmaker, especially in his secular role, was inevitably at the forefront of spiritual warfare…”

Most tentmakers carry out their ministries at workplaces.

I know that some of our TI leaders and tentmakers are coming to Korea for the Seoul 2024 Lausanne Congress. TI International plans to hold a meeting for TI leaders and tentmakers there.

May God continue to bless you and your ministry!

Tentmaker's story

Faroe Islands Mobilize to Reach the Unreached

by Steinar Opheim 
           from tentmaking today

Jakúp Brúsá, the new general secretary of the Faroe Islands domestic mission, looks forward to mobilizing people for foreign missions. Training and sending businesspeople and professionals will be a main strategy.

Small islands making excessive plans for missions

The Faroe Islands are far away from almost everywhere. Still, new and comprehensive plans are being made to mobilize numerous people from the islands for missions.

“Tithing is an established principle among followers of Jesus worldwide. I want to apply it to a new sector in our church work. My desire is to see 10 percent of our church members go to share Jesus around the world,” says Jakúp Brúsá. 

A few years ago, the young Faroese started a digital marketing company in the capital, Torshavn. However, his life took a new turn when he recently signed up as the general secretary or CEO of the nation’s domestic mission – in the local language named “Kirkjuliga Heimamissiónin.”  Even if the organization mainly focuses on domestic affairs, Brúsá assures that foreign missions and unreached people groups will be high on the agenda in the coming years. Sending professionals, businesspeople, and students as tentmakers will be the primary way of getting people going. 

“We will also reach out to Faroese people already living and working abroad. It should be possible to mobilize many of them as ambassadors for God’s kingdom,” says the general secretary.

International experience

The Faroe archipelago is found 200 miles northwest of the UK. It has 18 main islands, 52,000 inhabitants, and zero unreached people groups. According to the Joshua Project, 90 percent of the population are Christians. The Faroese are famous for their professional and business skills. Bakkafrost, their leading seafood company, operates worldwide and has an annual revenue of over one billion USD. 

Jakúp Brúsá believes the international experience is a definite plus as he and his team will work to mobilize their compatriots for missions. 

“The Faroese are generally agile and adaptable. Most people have not heard about our nation, and very few speak our language. Thus, we are used to accustom ourselves as needed to fit in elsewhere.”

God and business

The general secretary envisioned serving God through his business before he started his digital marketing company a few years ago.

“It was crucial that this should be God’s business, not mine, and that the resources we would acquire should also be his. I aimed to serve God and other people through the company. After a while, I also thought about how to inspire others to do the same. I hope to do so in this new role I have taken on.”

The young leader likes to see tangible results from his work. He still knows that he must be patient when it comes to missions. 

“Right now, we must focus on building up mobilizing, training, and sending capacity and getting the first people on their way. Within 5-10 years, I hope we have sent at least 30 people to work abroad. We need to find the “torch bearers” who can go first. Then, others will follow.”

Dual focus

Jakúp Brúsá knows some Christians on the Faroe Islands will be reluctant to the plans of mobilizing a high number of local believers for work abroad. 

“There is always someone who focuses mainly on domestic needs, and thus, feels that we lose resources when good people leave the Faroes. But, even if we send 10 percent of our church members, nine of ten will remain at home. So we do not need to choose between domestic and foreign missions. We should be able to focus on both simultaneously.”

Family-orientation

He thinks the Faroes are specially prepared for and can be especially welcomed in many cultures worldwide, including Muslim ones.

“We have preserved a collective, family-oriented culture similar to the cultures we find in many non-western communities. These similarities can make it easier for others to relate to us and vice versa.”

The general secretary wants to focus on the unreached as he and his team mobilize for missions. Still, he believes some people will go elsewhere as job opportunities open.

“We are all called to bring the gospel to the ends of the earth. When we mobilize businesspeople and professionals, we must still be ready to follow them wherever they go. So, although we focus on the unreached, I do not think limiting our work to such people groups will be viable.”

Brúsá and his team have asked Tent International to help as his organization builds its training and sending capacities. One of the first aims is to get those involved in the organization behind the vision of sending tentmakers.